Re: Derivations

I sympathize with you since we made the conversion from quarters to
semesters about five years ago, and it was no fun. About three years ago, we
converted our physics courses from what I would call an "applied" approach
that supported the technology degrees we offer to a more traditional
university approach. I made the effort to include derivations in my courses
after that switch. My reason- the intent of my course is two fold. It is
supposed to teach students introductory physics concepts and practices so
that they can use them in their other, related, courses and, if they intend
to go on towards a baccalaureate degree, in subsequent courses in physics.
It is also suppose to provide students with skills and knowledge that will
serve them well even if they never receive anymore formal instruction in
physics or related fields (non-majors/liberal arts perspective).

In either case, students seem better served if they learn more than a set of
mandates about the ways things are and the mathematical trickeries used to
calculate them. They need to at least glimpse the larger picture. The
development/derivation of the things they are learning exposes them to
"Science and Its Ways of Knowing" if I may borrow the title of a book I
received recently. It also lets them follow the critical thinking processes
used which I hope they are learning along with the physics.

My effectiveness is also sometimes a source of doubt for me too, but there
have been several good discussions on the list and related ones about
assessing this effectiveness in your testing.

Hello all.

I teach 1st year college physics at the algebra/trig level as well as the
calculus level for a two year college in Atlanta, GA. We are currently
in a quarter based system. Classes meet 3 days or 2 days each week.
We do not have recitation sections to accompany the classes. There is a
3 hr per week laboratory. In one year (Fall 98) we will be converting
to a semester based system--the details of which are not yet settled. My
question is this:

For 1st year physics, do you perform derivations for your students when
you teach the lecture class? If you do, what do you hope and/or really
think they will get from this performance? Also (if you do), do you require
your students to reproduce these derivations at a later time? In what
form do you require this (on a test, in homework, in a written journal,
during recitations, etc.)? If you do not perform derivations, why not?
How do you present the material for the course without deriving
formulas? Do you expect them to learn the derivations from the book? If
so, are they responsible for those derviations (i.e. required to
reproduce them in some form)? In either case, how effective do you think
you are being with respect to the teaching of A) physics and engineering
majors, B) other science majors, and C) non majors.

I have recently been thinking about how and why I teach the way I do and
whether or not I am being effective. I have wondered if I am wasting
valuable class time "performing" derivations.

I thank you for your help with my self evaluation.--

Mariam Dittmann

Mariam W. Dittmann
DeKalb College Science Department
555 N indian Creek Drive