Re: No Hair

There is such a theorem. There must always be at least one coordinate
singularity on a sphere (e.g. at the north and south poles, longitude
is undefined). This is not to my knowledge directly relevant to the
no-hair claims for black holes but it is quite relevant for another
area of general relativity that Hawking was involved in, namely the
singularity theorems that pop up in cosmology. The upshot was that
singularities are general features of all cosmological models
satisfying some very weak general assumptions. It had been suspected
previously that they might have been artificial features of cosmology
following from simplifiying symmetry assumptions that may not be
exactly valid. Hawking, Ellis and others showed that so long as
gravity is treated according to classical general relativity, you get
singularities pretty much.

Is there not a theorem about direction fields on a sphere such that there
must be at least one (or is it two) singularities. This has been
popularized by means of an analogy (that isn't quite perfect) about hair
on our heads. One concludes that we must have a part (or something like
one). Now, could Hawking be referring to a topological property of black
holes such that the original theorem about direction fields (as in ODEs)
doesn't apply there or doesn't mean what it usually means elsewhere OR is
it a mishearing or a typo. Only trying to help, but I'm afraid this may
not. Certainly, it would help to have the context and the preceding and
following remarks.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227