Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

You are correct, Bob, for a single particle MODEL. But the reality of the
situation is more complicated. Two internal non-conservative forces are
involved in a process by which internal kinetic energy K (macroscopic)
is converted into thermal energy (microscopic). And if my understanding
of Bruce Sherwood is correct (his AJP article was mentioned here) it is
not at all obvious what fraction of the really-observed x should be used
to calculate the work correctly.
Ludwik Kowalski

I should simply reply "I rest my case" with regard to my previous
contentions that muddying the meaning(s) of the word "work" (as a
result of confounding the Work Energy Th.(WET) with the First Law of
Thermodynamics(FLT) ) yields only confusion.

The meaning of the word "work" in the WET is very clear (I have
previously made it explicit). The FLT states that a defined system
has a state function (we name it the internal energy E) which is a
numerical quantity with units of Joules (like the terms in the WET).
The FLT further states that the numerical value of E can change by
a variety of kinds of interactions with the system's surroundings;
one way which is almost always available is by an exchange of "heat",
dQ, across a temperature gradient. Other ways will be peculiar to the
situation and may involve electrical, magnetic, etc interactions.

The FLT simply leaves a space for the appropriate terms within
the ill-chosen symbol dW (Exactly as Newton left a space for
appropriate forces in the left hand side of F=ma). Our mathematical
models of dW find it useful to express it as dW = Y*dx,
an intensive variable times the variation of an extensive variable.
Each interaction will thus be modeled by an appropriate term, which will
have units of Joules.

Only in some few carefully contrived situations will this interaction
term be identical (conceptually or numerically) with "work" as used in
speaking of the left hand side of the WET. In the FLT dW is "whatever
it takes" to keep the conservation of energy books straight; this is
not an explicit concern of the WET; it is simply a corallary of
Newton's "laws of motion".
--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net