Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Emilio writes:

I wonder how people would explain the following two processes:

a) I have two containers, A and B, joined by a tube with a valve.
A is empty (vacuum), while B contains air at normal pressure. I open
the valve, so that the air also gets into A without producing any work.

The system energy (E) gets redistributed among its internal potential
energy (Pi, due to molecular interactions), internal kinetic energy
(Ki, calculated with respect to the CM of the system), and bulk
translational kinetic energy (Kb, due to motion of the CM).
Initially Kb = 0, and E (= Pi + Ki + Kb) is less than Ki due to the
fact that Pi is negative at "normal pressure." Just after the valve
is opened, the primary effect is that Ki begins to reduce in favor of
Kb as the molecular velocities become somewhat "organized" in the
direction of container A. After a short period of "sloshing around,"
Kb is once again eliminated but now, since the average intermolecular
distance is smaller Pi is larger (less negative) than before. As a
result Ki is smaller and this is reflected in a moderate "cooling"
(decrease in temperature) of the gas.

I have always particularly liked this example for illustrating the
differences between the many different useful ways of defining work
and the system energy changes that are related to them. One can
calculate work using all forces (A), using external forces only (X),
or using internal forces only (I). One can use displacements of the
points of application relative to an inertial frame (G) or relative
to the CM frame (C) or one can "pretend" that the net force on the
system is applied at the center of mass and use its displacement (C).

Work Name Associated energy change
(F * x)
A G Total work Ki + Kb
X G External work Ki + Pi + Kb (= E)
I G Internal work - Pi
A C Pseudowork Kb
A R Relative total work Ki
X R Relative external work Ki + Pi
I R Relative internal work - Pi

Consider what happens after the valve is opened: There is an
unbalanced external force from the rear wall of container B that does
no "external work" (in the "lab frame") so it does not change E.
However, it does do positive "pseudowork" (in that same frame) and an
equal but opposite amount of "relative external work" (which is
frame-independent.) The positive "pseudowork" increases Kb and the
negative "relative external work" decreases the sum of the internal
energies Ki + Pi. (In this case, most of that decrease happens to
show up in Ki.)

Later on, the rear wall of container A begins to exert a force which
eventually exceeds that of the rear wall of container B. This force
again does no "external work" but it does negative "pseudowork"
(decreasing Kb) and an equal but opposite "relative external work"
(increasing Ki + Pi). During the "sloshing around" period, the
"pseudowork" and the "relative external work" reverse signs several
times, but, in the end, the total "pseudowork" and the total
"relative external work" done are both identically zero. This leaves
the total of the internal energies (Ki + Pi) unchanged.

Finally, during the process the molecules have also on average
receded from each other against an attractive intermolecular force.
Thus, a negative "internal work" (or "relative internal work") has
been done increasing Pi and, necessarily, decreasing Ki.

b) In a container (usually a cylinder with a piston) I have a
mixture of air and gasoline vapor. I ignite it via a spark plug and
the temperature rises.

I'll keep this one short! Positive "internal work" is done
decreasing Pi. However no "relative external work" is done so Ki +
Pi is unchanged. Thus Ki increases.

(Is anyone still here?)

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223