Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

P.S. Leigh, how should dU=c*m*dt be called? We used to call it "heat" but
this was in conflict with how heat is defined in thermodynamics. What is
wrong with the name "thermal energy"? It is now used by many authors.

As you state, it should properly be called heat, since a process, though
not a uniquely specified one, is implicit. It is certainly not an energy.
Use of the symbol dU (by which I infer you mean the change in U) is most
improper; heat is not the change in anything. You should use Q instead:

Q = m c dT

where m is the mass of a homogeneous system having heat capacity per
unit mass c (some modifier is appropriate here) and dt is the change in
temperature that occurs in the process of heating.

Some may think I am being terribly picky; I believe that I am not. This
particular error (which we physicists all understand completely, of
course - nudge nudge) completely baffles students. Treating heat, work,
and energy as though they are all the same thing is as quick a way to
lose a student as any I know. If they were all the same thing why would
we have three different terms for them, and why would we have a law which
treats them as separate entities!?

Leigh

Leigh Hunt Palmer Phone: 604 291 4844
Department of Physics FAX: 604 291 3592
Simon Fraser University Home: 604 299 3731
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6 email: palmer@sfu.ca
CANADA 122d58m W 49d17m N