Re: POE summary (was Re: Work/Energy theorem?)

I'd like to get back to the original question for a moment. As I
understand it you have an observer on a moving train who is looking at
tree someplace on the ground. The observer on the train calculates the
K.E. of the tree. The train is then decelerates to a stop, and the
observer calculates the K.E. of the tree again and finds that it is zero.
Someone then wanted to know where the lost K.E. went.

My naively classical mind said that it didn't go anywhere - that
the observer on the train decelerated so the change in KE was not measured
in an "inertial" frame so it was a physically meaningless number.

When the person on the train makes his/her measurements, they were doing so
in inertial frames of reference; BUT they weren't different frames of
reference. This no more mysterious then noting that the two frames of
reference (the original constant velocity train frame and the frame of the
person handcuffed to the tree) measure the kinetic energy to be different.
Kinetic energy is not a Galilean Frame invariant concept (to use fancy
language).

Joel

Disclaimers,
This is a quick off the cuff response, as are most of my comments.