Re: Force sensors (2)

Rauber, Joel Phys says:
but the converse doesn't
work: acceleration = 0 is not sufficient to conclude that equilibrium has
been reached.

The velocity, jerk, ... must also be zero.

The velocity does not have to be zero for the system to be in equilibrium.

We are refering here to the velocity of the spring scale indicator relative
to the gradations it points to. That velocity certainly has to be zero for
equilibrium.

agreed concerning velocity of the two ends of the spring (or equivalently
the pointer relative to gradations); I misunderstood the comment before. I,
of course, meant that the overall velocity of the spring and apparatus could
have non-zero velocity relative to some quasar. I still have to think
about the "jerk" though; it strikes me that you are adding an additional
requirement to the usual conditions of equilibrium.

1) You put the spring in equilibrium. This is the step where you
measure
the acceleration. You must measure the acceleration to be zero in order

to know that the spring is in equilibrium.

Actually, you must measure the spring elongation to be constant over
time.
This does mean that the acceleration is zero,

And hence is measuring the acceleration, i.e. this is how you
operationally
use the apparatus. You look for the necessary condition that the
acceleration is zero.

Measuring the elongation to be constant over time is not the same as
measuring the indicator's accleration, for several reasons.

Measuring the elongation over time to be constant, does tell me the
acceleration over that is zero, and hence can be viewed as a measurement of
the acceleration. The elongation is a determination of position and if that
is constant in a coordinate system, the acceleration is zero for that
position in the the said coordinate system.

Principally,
the observation of "no change" does not require the ability to perform the
subtraction required for taking derivatives.