Re: POE summary (was Re: Work/Energy theorem?)

I asked John Mallinckrodt to comment (gently) on:
... I just checked some
writings of Einstein, Gamow, Bondi, and Reichenbach. They all take
something like the following viewpoint:

1) GR abolishes the preferred position of the Newtonian class of inertial
frames (the "fixed stars" being one) by allowing an observer to transform
away his (Newtonian) acceleration by taking account of dynamic, covariant
gravitational fields with identifiable sources (including the distant
stars). Here we are transforming away acceleration in favor of gravitation.

Your (more modern?) viewpoint :

2) The only inertial frame worthy of the name is the local free fall frame.
The observer in that frame is neither accelerating nor gravitating.
Departures from that frame are produced by accelerations (relative to
that frame). An observer thus accelerating will see kinematical effects
which will be identical to the effects of a gravitational field, but
this field is fictitious and has no source beyond his acceleration
itself. Here we are transforming away gravitation in favor of acceleration.
-Bob Sciamanda

To which John (gently) replied, in part:

I stipulate that #2 is a fair representation of what I've been saying.
I'm not quite sure, on the other hand, how you are reading #1. With only
a little clarification, I read it as being completely compatible with #2.
The final sentences do seem to imply an either/or proposition, but I
think that putting acceleration and local gravitation on an equal footing
is the very essence of the principle of equivalence. . . .
-John Mallinckrodt

View #1 is the position toward which I was "goading" you, early on in
these
exchanges when I tried to insist that you identify the *sources* of the
gravitational fields which appeared to the train passenger whenever the
engineer throttled up or braked.
If the two views are indeed equivalent, why did you insist adamantly
on viewpoint #2 and seemingly disallow the (expected) answer: "the
distant stars . . ."
Perhaps, as you hint above, the proper interpretation of #1 still needs
clarification for me(?).

(You're good at this when you're gentle :)
--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu
Dept of Physics sciamanda@worldnet.att.net