Re: Operational Definitions

that, over its long history, it was able to separate the physics from our
feelings, to make objective models rather than egocentric models, and to
realize that we seek understanding of a universe which we assume
represents an OBJECTIVE REALITY, not a subjective impression, and which

Who is "we"? Not everyone believes that the world exists independent
of our perception of it. John Wheeler even speaks seriously about a concept
called the "participatory universe," meaning, as I recall, that the universe
is "as it is" partly as a result of our observing it.

It might be interesting to speculate about whether we would ever have
developed the concept of temperature had it not been for our sensing of it.

Consider this: Everything we "see, hear, feel, taste, think about, etc.",
ultimately is processed some way in the brain. So as Kant(?) once said:
The entire universe exists as a product of our consciousness."

Definitions are useful insofar as they help us maximally in understanding
our universe. And because different folks believe one definition helps that
along better than another, there will always be debates and a need for a
standards group to arbitrate.

(Just thought I would "weigh in" on this issue, hoping that it won't result
in "mass" confusion.)

Stay cool (or maintain a moderate level of average random thermal kinetic
energy)!

Van

Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu
Purdue University