base64 (was: Re: airfoil GIFs)

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:47:22 -0800 (PST)
From: jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu (James Mclean)

More communications problems. My unix system doesn't seem to handle MIME
attachments very well: it recognizes that they are there but cannot
translate them. So I tried to save the file and edit out the email parts
so that I could use an image program.

The difficulty: the attachments did have anywhere in them the sequence
'GIF87a' or 'GIF89a' which must be at the beginning of any GIF file. I
conclude that the attachments were not simply GIF format. Do MIME
attachments use some sort of compression?

MIME attachments of binaries, such as GIFs, are "base64" encoded. You
must use a decoder first to recover a standard GIF file. You may not
have a decoder (e.g., debase64) on your system, or it may be there but
not properly linked to your mail reader.
"base64" is like UUencoding, except that it passes EBCDIC<->ASCII
conversion unscathed, thus is more suitable for Internet email,
especially internationally.

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu
Random quote for this second:
Weiler's Law: Nothing is impossible for the man who does not
have to do it himself.