base64 (was: Re: airfoil GIFs)

Here is info that may be of interest to some of you:

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 13:13:11 -0500
To: RSMITH@uwf.edu
From: Kit Haims <kit@frif.com>

Dear Mr. Smith ,

The company that I work for, First Run/ Icarus Films, has just picked up a
new educational documentary video on the Manhattan Project and the stories
of the scientists who worked on it.

Entitled, "I Am Become Death: They Made the Bomb", I think this film might
be of interest to your memebers. I was wondering if you might consider
posting this information to your list.

Sincerely,

Kit Haims
First Run/Icarus Films
kit@frif.com

Following this is a description of "I Am Become Death: They Made the
Bomb", a new release from First Run/ Icarus Films.

I AM BECOME DEATH: THEY MADE THE BOMB
A Video by Arthur Mac Caig

On July 16, 1945 at 5:30 a.m., in a remote site in the New Mexico desert,
America successfully detonates its first atomic bomb. In El Paso, Texas, one
hundred miles away, the city's residents are awakened by a silent but
blinding light...

The Manhattan Project, after only four years but with a budget of 2.2
billion dollars and a work force of over 100,000, had created the ultimate
weapon. Only a handful of people on the project were aware of its
implications. This documentary is about a few of these people, cloistered
away from 1943 to 1945 at Los Alamos, New Mexico: a place that officially
did not exist.

Among them were many of the world's most brilliant scientists: the Americans
Bob Wilson, Bob Serber, Bob Christy and Harold Agnew; the Europeans Hans
Bethe, Stan Ulam, Enrico Fermi and Edward Teller. And above them all, was
their charismatic but enigmatic leader, Robert Oppenheimer, who baptized the
first bomb - Trinity.

I AM BECOME DEATH is a unique, rare view from within as several of these
scientists speak of experiences on the path to their shared destiny. None
hesitated in the creation of the bomb. All did so without illusion.

As their lives and work at Los Alamos are revealed, they relate stories of
contradictions and jealousies, and how each came to terms with the atomic
era's most immediate consequence: the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagaski.
And as their stories unfold, viewers become painfully aware that, even fifty
years later, Trinity is with us today, as it will remain tomorrow.

55 minutes / color / 1995
Sale/video: $390
Rental/video: $75

Subject Areas: History of Science, Ethics and Science, U.S. History, Nuclear
& Peace Issues, Science & Technology.

- Free preview for purchase consideration is available. Please inquire.

- Canadian rights are available for this title, please inquire for further
information. Purchase price includes public performance rights.

First Run/Icarus Films
153 Waverly Place
6th Floor
New York, NY 10014
U.S.A.

Phone: (212) 727-1711
(800) 876-1710 (for U.S. & Canada only)
Fax: (212) 989-7649
Email: mail@frif.com
On-Line Catalog: http://www.echonyc.com/~frif/

If you have not received our new 1997 Catalog, please email your
complete mailing address and we will be sure to send a copy to you.

Dick Smith
Department of Physics
The University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL 32514