Re: e-mail formating

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Leigh Palmer wrote:
What's wrong with BinHex (with or without initial compaction)?

Only the religious objections of the anti-Macintosh crowd. They
claim that .sit.hqx is the Devil's own extension,

Leigh,
I don't think it has anything to do with pro/anti mac. The PC
simply doesn't do those types of compression. And from my experience
trying to deal with .sit and .hqx files on macs, they are Satan's methods.
You must use something that is cross platform. Do macs handle
.zip files? That is the most common type of compression for PCs.

Macs handle zip, gzip, tar and many others using an application called
"Stufit Expander". gzip is the standard compression format for the Los
Alamos preprint archive. I am also reliably informed that there exist
utilities for the PC and unix that handle .hqx (binhex) files. I don't
advocate the use of binhex, however; that was the point I failed to
make with my posting. .sit.hqx works transparently for a properly
equipped Macintosh, by the way. Not everyone uses a properly equipped
Macintosh, however. I hoped that someone would suggest an alternative.

LaTeX is, indeed, a common language for professional physicists. I
don't think it is likely that everyone has it, however. The Mac has
only two applications that can handle it, one of which is very
expensive (but very nice), and the other is free but immense! I think
a more practical alternative is Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format, but I
suspect that no universdally agreeable format yet exists.

Leigh