Re: Machine Shop?

During a building renovation, we are considering getting rid of our
departmental machine shop (the room could be converted to something
else) -- at the moment, it doesn't get much use, and we would have
access to tools elsewhere on campus. We are a 3-1/2 person department;
we do have students doing research much of the time. My question is: do
those of you in similar situations feel that a machine shop is useful,
valuable, necessary in a college department of this size?
--
Martha Takats
Department of Physics and Astronomy

I just wanted to respond to Martha's question about what to do with the
machine shop in her department.
my feeling is that there are a lot of people out there, typically those
that I would call "second-handers", that would like nothing better than
to get rid of all the machine tools in this country and give them away
to some other country. probably they would even pay these other countries
to take them off our hands. we used to have a country where people took a
great deal of pride in what they could create with their hands and some
tools. these "second-handers" cannot, don't want to and are unable to
create things and don't want to see others create anything either. a
very sad state of affairs, don't you think?
Martha, don't get rid of the machines in your department! they are an
invaluable resource, that could possibly never be replaced. I say, fight
to keep them, if that is the issue. even if only one student every ten years
uses them it's well worth it.
besides, how will anyone build racing cars, or rocket powered motorcycles or
a physics experiment if they are gone. I hope i've raised some questions
for you to ask yourself and your colleagues.

ed ensler
san francisco state university

sler@stars.sfsu.edu