Radio waves...

Greetings everyone! A student asked a question about radio waves
that I wasn't to sure about. The students were figuring out the
wavelengths and frequency of their favorite radio stations. A student
asked if the wavelengths remain the same, then how is the signal
transmitted so that it includes the information that we hear.
The way I understand the question is that, for example, when
people talk, we fluctuate the wavelengths and amplitude in such a way
that it forms the words we hear. If a DJ is talking (or music is
playing), what would the radio waves look like so that they transmit the
sounds.
My response to the student was that I believe the amplitudes my
fluctuate which is responsible for transmitting the signal, but I would
check. Am I right or wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dwight