a new nuclear option

OOOP!
Please correct 1500 tons to 15,000 tons in my previous message. Actually,
that is the shipping weight of the vessel. The actual weight of lead is
10,000 tons. Do not ask me why they did not say "mass of 10,000,000 kg".

Here are some more data, in case you are interested.

1. The weight of fuel, natural ThO2 with 10% of U233 (also oxide) 28.4 tons
2. The weight of fuel surrounding the core (pure ThO2) 5.6 tons
3. The electric power to run the accelerator is expected to be equal to
about 10% of the electric power that the unit is capable to generate
(625 MW). Two kinds of efficiencies are involved in the calculation of
this number: the thermodynamic efficiency and the efficiency of the
accelerator. They say the accelerator will be 50% efficient.
4. Average fuel temperature 908 C deg.
5. Pb temeratures 400 C (core input) and 600 (core output)

The report I am reading was published on July 15, 1996. I got it from a
friend but you probably can order it from CERN.

Ludwik Kowalski