Semesters: more of my opinion

Mark wrote:

There is a difference though. By spreading it over three
semesters, there is a better chance that the average student will actually
learn some of the material.

I'm not so sure I agree. The student has more time for the course, but they
are typically taking 5-6 courses simultaneously rather than 3 (what I had
for our standard quarter load). So the semester student is spread quite
thin, rarely do they have a week without some test or paper due; it seems
that they spend their time putting out fires. This of course gets down to
personal opinion, but I felt I learned more effectively under the quarter
system; mostly because I could concentrate on few subjects at a time.

Also, those semesters are so damn interminably long. You get more fresh
starts in the quarter, something I enjoyed as a student.

Roger noted:

Joel, I was going on weeks based on three 50 min. lecture periods per week.
Under that system 1 sem. hr. credit transfers as 1.5 quarter hrs. of credit
at the places that I am acquainted with

Here we have three 50 min lectures a week under the semester system, but we
start in early september and we get 41 or 42 lectures total. the quarter
system school I went to had four 50 minute lectures a week for ten weeks =
40 lectures. These numbers are for the standard courses, I've ignored the
extra semester hour our students get for the laboratory portion of the
course. Perhaps we are an extreme case, but even in the school I got my
Ph.D from (semesters) which started in late August, you couldn't cover the
same material in a year. I admit that if our introductory sequence were 3
semesters as is the case at many schools, my arguement wouldn't apply.

Joel