Re: Parent-Teacher Conferences...

Our school does not have parent-teacher conferences but does have a very
ineffectual "back-to-school-night." It is usually held about 6 weeks
into the first semester and one gets to meet the parents for all of 7
minutes. Out of 160 students, I used to get maybe 10 parents.

A few years ago I decided to hold my own "back-to-Physics night." I
offer the parents a choice of a Tuesday night, a Wednesday night the
following week, or a Thursday night two weeks later. All parents are
requests (read required) to attend. The letter I send out has a return
section. I follow up with a reminder and if they miss the meeting I send
them another letter offering them another night. I have 95% turn out.

We spend 90 minutes going over class requirements, homework
requirements, the green sheet, what items they must provide there
student, grading, attendance, behavior, tardy, field trips, etc. I also
use it to make contact with funding and equipment sources that the
parent may know.

It takes a lot of time and effort but pays off. I also excuse them from
coming to the regular back to school night.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High School