Re: Devil's Advocate, small footnote.

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Leigh Palmer wrote:

I said this once, and someone who seemed to know what he was talking about
corrected me, saying that Newton was a "Unarian", not a "Unitarian". I
know pretty much what a Unitarian is, and found the reference to "Unarian"
in one biography of Newton, but have not dug into the doctrinal
differences between the two.

Newton was a deist. Since he wrote a lot of (I'm told very bad) theology
I think he defined his own beliefs rather satisfactorily. It is clear he
was concerned about the matter. As far as "Unarian" faith goes, please
check out http://www.serve.com/unarius/ (for a good laugh).

Yes, a very good laugh. This recent looniness from the booby hatchery is
the Universal Articulate Interdimensional Understanding of Science
society, of Dr. Ernest Norman.

It, however, has *nothing* to do with the Unarian religion of Newton.
Newton wasn't exactly a Deist. He did reject the trinity, but he also was
a Biblical literalist--fully accepting Archbishop Ussher's dating of the
creation at 2004 BC, and chiding those who said the pyramids were older
than that. He accepted biblical prophesies, and thought his writings on
religion would be the work he'd be remembered by. He was wrong. These
writings are considered simple-minded even for his time, by the few
scholars who have spent time trying to understand them.

I'll try to dig out some references and post them when I get some time to
spend in the library.

-- Donald