Newton and Religion

Having just read Westfall's abridged version biography of Newton, I can shed
a little light so to speak.

I said this once, and someone who seemed to know what he was talking about
corrected me, saying that Newton was a "Unarian", not a "Unitarian". I
know pretty much what a Unitarian is, and found the reference to "Unarian"
in one biography of Newton, but have not dug into the doctrinal
differences between the two.

A Unarian is roughly speaking the opposite of a Trinitarian. A Trinitarian
holds the doctrine of the holy Trinity, a Unarian does not. Apparently
Newton believed that the doctrine of trinitarianism (often codified in
various creeds and is the predominant belief in most Christian
Denominations today) was the result of corruptions in interpretations of
various scriptures in the Bible, for varieties of reasons.

Joel
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu