Bernoulli...the results

I had my session today with six very active 5th grade (10 year-old) boy
scouts. My topic was to have been the "wonders of Bernoulli" or some
such. But, as you know, I was leary of lots of things called Bernoulli
effect which are not. I asked the list for help and received many
suggestions. Instead of purely Bernoulli, I ended up using Alex
Mazzolini's idea of "The Air Around Us". I tried to get the boys
thinking about how we know air is there, and then the idea that air
"pushes" on things. Finally, we got around to the fact that under
certain circumstances the pressure that air exerts can change...for
example with velocity. And we did do some Bernoulli stuff. I never
called it Bernoulli or tried to explain things completely. Instead I
wanted them to think and enjoy. I sent them home with a few
demonstrations to try for their parents and classmates.

I thought things worked out very well. The guys had fun. I believe they
thought about some things in different ways. And, I did not feel guilty
about perpetuating Bernoulli myths.

Thanks again to the list.

Dave

--
* David Simmons St. John's Jesuit High School *
* 5901 Airport Hwy Toledo OH 43615 *