Re: Greenhouse

At 8:43 AM on 9/30/96, <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu> wrote:

Leigh made the following interesting comment/observation concerning
greenhouses; and I confess to never having thought about it much.

I don't think I've harped on it before in this group, but how many
of you out there are teaching your students that a greenhouse gets
warm because of the greenhouse effect, the same effect that heats
planetary surfaces with atmospheres? That's a lie, of course. It
has been known since the teens that greenhouses are heated by the
supression of cooling by convection. R. W. Wood (who probably knew
that all along) proved it by making a test greenhouse out of rock
salt. Today we use polyethylene sheet for some greenhouses, the
same material that is used for infrared windows in vacuum apparatus.

I have the following question: Are not both affects happening
simultaneously and contributing to the warmth inside the greenhouse (or
car)? (It doesn't get to hot inside my car on a cloudy day, or at night, up
here in the upper midwest). So it strikes me that one should be asking
which is the predominate affect?

Joel

Hmm, this sounds surprising to me too. I think you could run an internal
fan in a closed car on a sunny day and it would get real hot anyway. As
for infrared windows of polyethylene, are we talking the same freq range?
The IR is pretty broad.

Chip