Re: What Flows?

<< Put a higher temperature object in thermal contact with a lower
temperature
object. Heat flows from the hot object to the colder object, thereby
increasing the energy of the cool object and decreasing the energy of the
hot object. One might describe this as a "energy flow" and yet it occured
without work being done by one body on another. Therefore I disagree with
what was said above. >>

Joel,

I'm confused. My thermodynamics is very rusty, so I have some questions.

1. Isn't there an attractive force between electrons and protons in an atom?

2. When an object is heated up (or cooled down), don't the average electron
energies (and their orbits) increase (decrease)?

3. Since there is a force and a displacement in a parallel (antiparallel)
direction (radial) with (against) the force, isn't there some average work
done (positive or negative) on the electrons?

Bob Carlson

Robert A. Carlson raacc@worldnet.att.net or raacc@aol.com

Visit World-in-Motion, a physics video analysis program, at:
http://members.aol.com/raacc/wim.html

Download a demo version of World-in-Motion at:
http://members.aol.com/raacc4/wimdemo.html

Visit the World-in-Motion AVI MOVIE DATA BASE at:
http://members.aol.com/raacc/data.html