Re: I guess I get to "put up or shut-up".

Hi all-
I've been complaining for years about the math preparation of
physics students - as have many of you. Well, this fall I get my chance.
I'm going to teach a 1st semester calculus class, and my intention is
to do it "right".
I'll put some of my thoughts on calculus teaching on the net
as I get them down on "paper" while putting the course together.
Meanwhile, if any physicists have nuggets from their own experiences in
a similar situation, I will be delighted to receive them.
Regards,
Jack

Hello there,

I've been teaching both physics and calculus for quite some time. There is
a lot of calculus reform material out there, much more, it seems to me,
than physics reform material. Take a serious look at the text Calculus by
Hughes-Hallett, Gleason, et.al. There is a great emphasis on concepts and
much less on mindless manipulation of symbols. A whole chapter is devoted
to the derivative and its interpretation BEFORE the students see the
differentiation formulas. Similarly there is a whole chapter on the
definite integral and its interpretation as the limit of a sum BEFORE the
students find out they can evaluate a definite integral by finding an
antiderivative. The texts makes excellent use of graphing calculators,
estimates, and approximations. The problems are very practical, and many -
if not most - are drawn from physics. Recurrent themes are that of the
derivative as a rate of change, and of local linearization -- most
functions look like straight lines when you zoom up close, and there is
nothing about a straight line that the students can't find. I've taught the
first two semesters using these materials, and am about to teach
multivariable calculus using them. I find, for the first time, that I am
teaching the subject more along the lines of how I think and use it. I
would never go back to a traditional calculus course.

Paul

Paul Goodman
Skyline College
San Bruno, CA