Re: The End of Science

Jim,

Point #3 below was exactly my thinking as I listened to the interview.
Physicists were just going to add a few extra digits of accuracy back in
the 1890's as there was nothing new to be discovered. Hmmm. Perhaps we
are on the cusp of another breakout of new ideas. Sure hope so.

Lowell

John
Horgon has written a book titled "The End of Science" --- was
interviewed by David Gergen (sp?) on PBS recently. -- says that all the
science that is discoverable is already discovered -- any further answers
are not "provable" ie testable in a scientific method sense. For example we
could never get to another galaxy to test any theory regarding galaxies.

1) Who is this guy? Gergen is too respectable a fellow to be interviewing
a witless soul.

2) A Tom Coony (?) was mentioned -- just passes -- has ideas about "new
paradigms" etc Who is *he*?

3) Isn't this the same thinking as in physics circles at the turn of the
century? We have learned all there is to know about physics -- oh yes we
haven't explained the thermal emission curve nor perhaps the photoelectric
effect, but other that these trivialities, we know pretty much all there is
to know about physics.

Jim.Green@Snow.edu