Re: Old Stars/Olber's Paradox

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 10:26:22 -0600 Jim Green said:
Ah, David, I did not know that the expansion of "space" was >c. (Indeed I
am having a hard time internalizing this, but will study your last post
carefully.) I don't think others in this thread understood this either.
Comments all??

Jim & Dave: I've really enjoyed this thread. Jim has asked a lot of questions
I was wondering about and have been fascinated by Dave's answers. The
expansion > c was new to me too and like Jim I'm having trouble digesting it.
I try to hit on the Hubble constant in Physics, Astronomy, and Geology classes.
It is a good topic since everyone has heard of Hubble and most have heard of
the Big Bang. It is also nice for us in Lousiville since Hubble began his
career living just outside Louisville and teaching high school in New Albany,
IN. I have a friend with photographs of Hubble taking students on hikes.
Obviously, like tides, there is a lot more to this than is presented in
introductory texts, and again we have to be careful that we don't teach wrong
physics. The background radiation was always somewhat of a mystery to me and
with the expansion > c it sure makes a lot more sense.