Bobbing thermometer

I've seen a thermometer at a nearby science store that consists of a
glass tube filled with a fluid, in which reside several glass bulbs,
themselves partially filled with a fluid. The bulbs either float or
sink, depending on the density of the fluid they're immersed in, which in
turn depends on temperature.

Anyway, it has occurred to me that one could make the same thing out of
water (or some other fluid) and 35mm film cannisters partially filled
with sand. Has anyone ever tried this before, and if so do you have any
tips?

Dave

Dave Slaven | quorbit /kwor'bit/ vt To be in the vicinity
Physics Department | of, while lacking a definite location. (as
Saginaw Valley State | in, "The electrons in an atom quorbit the
University Center, MI 48710| nucleus.")