RE: Video cards for IBM compatibles

On Thu, 30 May 1996, Tim Sullivan x5830 wrote:

We've found video cards to be a tricky area. It seems that standards are not
real firm. I strongly suggest not buying anything until you've had a chance to
test a complete configuration of video card, computer graphics card, system
unit, and intended software to make sure it all works together.

AMEN!!! I have been seting up 5 P133 machines for video capture this past
week and there are a lot of small things that can cause BIG problems.

We are currently using Diamond VideoStar Pro video capture cards for our intro
lab, but these are no longer available. We've recently purchased Miro DC20
cards (about $800/ea) with Diamond Stealth computer graphics cards for our
Compaq systems. We use Adobe Premier to capture video and our own video
analysis software.

We will be using Creative Labs VideoBlaster RT300 cards in ours. They
cost about $360 each. We will be running Adobe Premier also to capture
the video. I just had to order the 32 bit upgrade so that we can run NT
on all the machines so that video can be shared between all the machines.
NT will also make it easier to administrate the lab machines AND keep the
students from screwing them up.

TEST, TEST, TEST!!! There are 4 variables that come into play in this
video capture setup. Any combination of these can conflict.

1) Your operating system or platform. (Win 3.x, WFW, NT, Win 95)
2) Your video card
Don't get one with VRAM. VRAM is faster, but VRAM video cards
tend to be too smart for their own good and they conflict with the
capture card at higher resolutions.
3) Your capture software
Adobe seems to be the choice that comes packaged with most cards.
Expect to upgrade if you want to run REAL 32 bit under NT or 95. This
costs $49.
4) Your analysis software
ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS! Find out EXACTLY what kind of system it
was developed on. Tell them what you are planing on using and ask
them if it will be compatable.

Following these steps will insure that what you get will work.

1) Pick your software - Get an evaluation copy (they come with samples)
2) Buy your computer or find a computer that meets the specs from your
software vendor.
3) Install everything and TRY it FIRST!

All of these suggestions will make your life simpler. I spent 15
hours one weekend on this "hell-ride", so I speak from experience... and
a lot of time on the phone with tech support.

At the present point, we will be running Dell P133 machines with
videoblasters and ATI+ video cards (2M DRAM). We will be running Adobe
Premier 4.02 as capture software. We will be analyzing with "ActivPhysics"
and "World-in-motion" software. I have learned a lot in the past 2 weeks!

James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059
Physics Lab/Demo Curator FAX Number: (501) 575-4580
WWW Page http://comp.uark.edu/~jshue