Re: Question from grade 11 student

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996 mdubreuil@musicm.mcgill.ca wrote:

I'm doing a project on archimede's law of hydrostatic. Since I'm a scuba
diver, I went underwater a different depths with a object . My goal is to
try to figure out if the object's weight changes in proportion with the
depth.

These were my results:

Depth Lenght of my spring (Hook's law F: k * l

0 feet 25,2 cm
10 23,9
20 24,5
50 25,2

I understand that my object is lighter at 10 feet, but why does it get
heavier as I go further deep down ?

Marc Desgroseilliers,
enseignant,
chef de groupe a la vie etudiante,
ecole secondaire Dorval,
commission scolaire du Lakeshore,
636-0115

mdesgroseilliers@musicm.mcgill.ca

I am not sure that I understand what you are doing, but I'll try to
reply. In water the bouancy on an object should be equal to the weight of
water which it displaces. Since water does not compress very much at
depth I would expect that your object would weight less than in air but
that the results would not depend very much on the depth in the water.
Barlow Newbolt