Re: Bimodal Grade Distributions

Here is yet another opinion (or anecdotal evidence) about whether students do
better with or without HS physics:
Student #1: very good HS physics course covering mechanics. Breezes through
first month of college course, doing very little studying. Continues to do
very little studying and grades go way down...
Student #2: didn't take HS physics because it was rumored to be too difficult,
took easier courses instead. This attitude continues...
I am more aware of examples of #1, but I'm sure #2 is an important reason for
students who haven't taken HS physics doing poorly.
Martha Takats
Physics Department
Ursinus College
Collegeville, PA 19426