Re: Bimodal Grade Distributions

Although it is true that a large number of my physics students who had physics
in HS have an easier time of it than those who didn't have physics in HS, neith
er group is exclusive. Recently I had a student who had gotten A's throughout
his HS physics class; however, he could hardly do the mathematics of simple pro
blems and did not even seem to have a good grasp of the basic concepts coming i
nto the class. I think his HS class may have been a detriment to him in that w
hat he experienced as "physics" in high school was "easy" and this did not prep
are him for the amount of work he would have to put forth to understand physics
in a college atmosphere. I guess that brings us back to the duality of HS phys
ics preparation with motivation to work hard........
Sue Ramlo
Community & Technical College
University of Akron