Re: What is MAPLE?

I have seen a reference to MAPLE at several physics related web sites.
Could someone clue me in as to exactly what it is?

Thanks in advance.

Ed Schweber

MAPLE is a symbolic manipulation program produced by Waterloo
University in Canada (hence the name). I have a great deal of
fondness for the program since it was instrumental in my dissertation
research. It is broadly similar to Mathematica but there are some
distinctions -- if you are mostly interested in graphic
representation of your problem, Mathematica is somewhat superior but
if you want raw numerical power Maple is somewhat superior.

The program is marketed in the US, in a desultory way, by MathSoft,
the makers of MathCAD. They seem to view it as primarily a vehicle
for selling MathCAD and you basically have to beg them to sell it to
you. Go figure.

If you are interested in relativity, there is an add-on program
available freely called MapleTensor which is quite useful.

I like it a bit better than Mathematica but for most purposes they
are pretty comparable.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926