Re: speed of sound

Considering the relative velocity (as you would do with an
electromagnetic problem) as the source of the Doppler shift is a
common error. The sound problem is different in that moving source
and moving observer are physically distinct processes. A source may
move faster than the waves it is emitting and, so to speak, perceive
them out of order. A moving observer cannot. The distinction can be
traced to the fact that there is a preferred reference fram for this
problem, namely the medium through which the sound wave propagates.
It matters which one is doing the moving relative to that medium (and
it is rather annoying that most texts don't point this out since it
is a rather significant difference between the sonic and optic
problems).

A student posed this question, and I have not come up with a definite
answer. Any takers?
A source of sound is moving 343 m/s in air (speed of sound = 345 m/s)
emitting a frequency of 500 Hz. An observer passes the source at a speed of
344 m/s. What will be heard by the observer?
My initial thought was to simply consider the 1 m/s separation of the
source/observer causing a doppler shift reduction in the observed
frequency (498.6 Hz). But, if I consider both of their motions with respect
to the speed of sound I get an observed frequency of 250 Hz. Somebody
straighten me out please!

Darren
watskyd@mail.firn.edu

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29526 variety in unity.
pjcamp@csd1.coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
(803)349-2227 The Name of the Rose
fax: (803)349-2926