Re: formulas and calculators

Steve,

Your reply is a bit confusing. Do you permit calculators or not? If
you do, how will you handle the TI-92 when students come in with the
power to solve problems symbolically. Frankly, if a student can program
the calculator and/or solve problems symbolically on a calculator, I really
don't care as the problems need to be such that students really need to
know the physics. As yet I have not had a problem with students moving
information from calculator to calculator with infrared sharing capabilities.

Lowell Herr
Martha Takats' comment about filling calculators with formulas is
interesting to me. I have students asking if it's alright to use their
programmable calculators on exams, and they have a strange look on their
faces when they ask. Apparently they believe that the calculators can be
programmed to do the problems for them. I respond that I really don't
care what kind of calculators they use, because they have to show all of
their work anyway in order to get credit for an answer. And besides, some
of the problems they are given require symbolic answers, not numerical
answers. I emphasize to them that _they_ are responsible for learning
how to do the problems. They can't have a calculator, no matter how
powerful it is, do the work for them.

Steve Luzader
Frostburg State University
sluzader@fre.fsu.umd.edu