formulas and calculators

Steve,
I had a calculator left behind in my class one day. It had a
curious display. Line numbers on left, four digit numbers (years) and then
brief desriptions of English history. Lines and lines of English history
in a (non-functioning) program named "History". When I looked at the program
named "Physics"there were lines and lines of formulas (even rearranged
formulas!) The student did swear that the stored data would never be used
during testing.
Is memorizing formulas (not allowing cards and references) a
prerequisite to comprehension? I am more sure that understanding what the
formulas mean and how they are arrived at are much more important than if they
are able to be recalled without aides. Has anyone ever investigated this
topic? Allowing vs. Disallowing use of formulas on test which emphasize
comprehension and problem solving and obtaining performance results?

Tim
High School Physics Truck Driver

Tim Burgess Alabama Science in Motion
102 Espejo Street Physics Department - ILB-35
Mobile, AL 36604 University of South Alabama
tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu Mobile, Alabama 36688
(334)-432-3024 (334)-460-6224