Re: Crib Sheets

I don't know, preparing the sheet DOES force them to organize and edit
the material from the course. [I collect the sheets {NO..NOT BEFORE THEY
TAKE THE TEST...AFTER ;) } and am always AMAZED that a few students can't
even copy the equations correctly!] By excluding example problems and
previously solved problems from their sheets helps lessen the TEMPLATE
method of problem solving (your plug into the equations) but IT IS ALSO
important to write test problems that CANNOT be solved exactly the way a
homework or example problem was. It has helped me write such problems to
concentrate both in class, on homeworks, and on tests on INTEGRATED
(semi-real world) problems that require students to use several concepts
across different chapters in order to solve the problems. Doing this a
lot helps wean them away from 'there is one way to do ALL problems of
type A' simply because the problems they work on can't be catagorized
into easily recognized types.

The primary PURPOSE of the 'crib sheet' is to CONVINCE the students that
this is NOT a MEMORY exercise. I see many times that students will
barely refer to their sheets during the test.

Rick