Re: 1957 Comet

Margaret,
I think the comet you were thinking of was Arend-Roland, but I don't
remember it as large. I just remember finding it in a small telescope and being
able to discern its two tails. They stuck out on opposite sides of the coma. It
was coming in our direction and the ion and dust tails were well separated.
pictures of it look a little like a narwhale.
I hope this helps.
Gary
P.S. I hope things warm up as this comet is quit a site, we have a thunder
storm that is ending our drought. Truely a mixed blessing.