Re: [Phys-L] geiger counter

I don't see mention of my favourite source: filter air through a cotton pad
using a vacuum cleaner for about 5 minutes. The cotton pad becomes a
surprisingly strong source of beta radiation, apparently due to Pb-214 and
Bi-214 from the decay of atmospheric Radon. The ions stick to charged sites
on the cellulose molecules. Both have half lives around 20 minutes so very
nice observations can be made of the double decay, which can be modelled
with a spreadsheet simulation. I have the "Aware Electronics" large
diameter GM tube that was ideal for this. It interfaces to a USB port, but
the counting software does not work with the newer versions of Windows and
internet searches suggest that the firm has gone out of business. Does
anyone have information about this?
Mark Sylvester

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 at 05:31, bernard cleyet via Phys-l <