Re: [Phys-L] not political. (FTIR)

I wrote:

Exploding electrolytic caps are not pleasant.

This will happen, though correctly connected, when over(ly) electrified, also.

On Feb 23, 2023, at 13:30, Dan Beeker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

I now always wear my safety goggles when working inside energized equipment. Should have done that from the start.

I don't know how one would know which capacitors were safe to reverse voltage and which ones are not safe. Doubt the manufacturer would tell you.

None are except the ones designed for AC. Artificially, one may connect two back to back or is it front to front?

btw I'm interested in titles/sources of both books.

You likely, have received those titles, inter alia, ~ @ 1100 PCST.,the 23rd day of February different subject.

For those who can’t wait. The author used a 16V 470 µFd cap. Since the current is in the few µA range he used a 10 kOhm shunt on a DMM.

Max. reverse EMF 16 V. (about 4 µA result)

bc … has been “saved” several times by wearing heavy glass spectacles when he forgot to use a plastic shield that covers his face.

I’m reminded of the sign in the basement shop (Cristolografia, Universidad de Chile). Pic of .cartoon eyes and OJOS above the power grinder.