[Phys-L] the N word

Now that (not about time; way past time) “we" are encouraging diversity. I chanced upon the ethicist (NYT) discussion on the use of the N word by Strom Thurmond by a law prof. He was teaching about title VII. 1964.

A similar case occurred in Quebec. What happened:

A student complained, the lecturer was briefly suspended and the issue of acceptable speech in the university context became a media cause célèbre. Quebec Premier François Legault criticized the university for its handling of the case. “Classrooms are not safe spaces; they are spaces for debate,” [the head of the commission] said.

Here we have trigger notices.

Anyways what think youse about spaces for debate — Is there debate on physics?

bc