Re: [Phys-L] chatgpt and the hydrogen atom

Malwarebytes newsletter a couple months ago had an article where the author was
able to get one of these AI systems (may have been chatbot) to write a
ransomware program.  There were safeguards in the AI against this but the
author was able to trick the AI to bypass these safeguards and ended up with a
functional (although not very sophisticated) program.  This just illustrates
how important it is, and will be, to have very robust safeguards in any AI
against nefarious use, which is easier said than done.  While now retired for
several years, I suspect I could still spot a paper written by the AI versus a
student.  It would be too well written.  I had one like that and called the
student in, but she said that she often got questioned about her writing,
simply because it was so good.  I did believe her then.  😉

Richard W. Tarara

Professor of Physics, emeritus

Saint Mary’s College

Notre Dame, Indiana

Free Physics Instructional Software

Windows and Mac

sites.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/software.html