[Phys-L] Iron density question

I just returned from the NorCal/Nevada AAPT section meeting, where i
demonstrated the allotropic change in Iron using a video clip from the dining
room table.

If unfamiliar,  here:

http://www.cleyet.org/allotrope.mov

It clearly shows the change in density.  The wire likely wasn’t very pure,
which, I assume, makes the change less sharp and “intense”.

So my question is:   Is QM necessary to explain or can simple electrostatics
explain?  If simple electrostatics does, then I’d expect the FCC form to be
less dense than the BCC form, no?

Note: on cooling it passed from more dense to less dense.  Also why does one
structure dissolve carbon more?  Seems obvious.

bc … to lazy to search which is BCC, etc.;  austenite or ferrite, and he uses
scare quotes when he can’t remember the correct word.

p.s.   I don’t remember the text explaining when I taught engineering materials
at the local community college.