Re: [Phys-L] Terminal velocity in water

> On Oct 26, 2023, at 00:22, Antti Savinainen via Phys-l
> <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:
>
> Hi again,
>
> Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. Indeed, the Reynold's number is
> huge for this situation, which means that the assumption of the laminar
> flow is invalid.

Good!

I was going to calc. the R#.    I understand golf balls are dimpled to decrease
drag.  How about trying that with your balls????

bc   ….  remembers Bob Eisberg writing that in some cases drag is even cubical
with speed.  Too bad it reaches terminal too quickly to check.  OTOH one could
vary the mass and diameter, etc. so one could plot speed variation with
time????   I suggest numerical sim.  to find variables to change.  I’ve done
this with pendula (With JD’s assistance).  Eisberg has numerical thruout his
intro. book — RPF et alia also did this a little.  ***

***  Maybe duplicate: am reminded by mentioning Bob E.  that I applied to three
Us in England with two references.  NO luck except for Keele.  No interview no
nothing. Puzzled, until I arrived; found they used Bob’s book.  He was my MA
thesis supervisor at UCSB.