Re: [Phys-L] physics in the real world : WAN in a cage

For faraday cage demos, I have had good luck with a metal mesh cooking strainer
~12in diameter dome and a larger flat metal mesh bacon grease splatter guard.
The mesh is about 1mm square.  Inexpensive and easy to store.
A cell phone sandwiched inside the dome and the flat mesh (no gaps) quickly
loses all bars. And, it’s visible to the students. Dramatic when they try to
text the isolated phone.
I also use it show that a ball of Mylar tinsel inside the mesh will not puff
out when placed near or zapped by a van de graff generator.
Scott