Re: [Phys-L] no comment necessary.

When you can afford the best, your thoughts on schools for your offspring turn to teachers ex-Ivy league, no doubt. In Britain, I expect teachers from OxBridge show comparable glitter.   It does not go unnoticed that the price of admission to most under-gradute schools is racing way ahead of inflation.All the same, when visiting MIT years ago, I was surprised to meet a faculty person there imported from a northern polytechnic in Britain - which institutions were not much more prestigeous (domestically)  than community colleges are here. Possibly technology heavy topics invite a broader search for the meritorious faculty?
I cannot help mention that the ranks of Nobel-prize winners in the US show a higher than expected import ratio for somewhat similar reason.Which reminds me that long long ago, an English manufactory of steam engines and pumps was energised by an instrument artificer from Glasgow University, by the name of James Watt, in the first Industrial revolution - a sort of precursor of the Stanford graduates who energized Silicon Valley, much later. On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 11:45:57 AM CDT, bernard cleyet <bernard@cleyet.org> wrote:

https://portside.org/2022-09-25/most-us-professors-are-trained-same-few-elite-universities?utm_source=portside-general&utm_medium=email <https://portside.org/2022-09-25/most-us-professors-are-trained-same-few-elite-universities?utm_source=portside-general&utm_medium=email