Re: [Phys-L] electric cars

puzzled, I expect the charge time to be 1/ quadrupled.

bc His plug in Prius requires 6 hr (120 — ~30 A) for 25 miles.

I have roof solar, so I charge several times a week. ICE designed for best efficiency while hot and requires about ten miles (from 15 cold to hot >40 MPG) , So short trips, even when was no solar, very useful. The majority of my trips (shop and lattés) are < five miles. Monterey/Pacific Grove: Apple store restaurents, etc. 40 miles RT — Santa Cruz 80 RT medical and UniCalSC. The Prius Prime has an auto mode that uses the ICE and Emotor when loaded. This combo. results in about 65 MPG, and the battery exhausted a few miles before return from Santa Cruz. Would be much? better if I didn’t use the AC, driven by the battery.

Billed only for infra-structure $10/month. At the end of the year I’m supposed to receive a cheque for the E energy my system delivered. The meter runs backward during a sunny day and forward at night and when very cloudy. The system would be worthless, as the return on $18k is only about $600/year, but the sale of house claimed 3% greater, more than recoups the investment. Besides, I’m on a moral high horse!