Re: [Phys-L] Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking in Unexpected Places: A Looped Double Catenary & A Block/Plank Balanced on a Cylinder (very long)

Regarding JSD's musing:

System [1] is particularly interesting, if I understand it rightly, because it is
a second-order phase transition.
There is a nontrivial relationship between Δ and σ in the slightly-broken
regime. It might be amusing to plot this and to work out the critical
exponent.

I've worked that out. The 'order parameter' critical exponent has a classical mean-field value of 1/2. In particular, if we let Δ_0 = 0.257736456168094 be the critical mean relative excess slack, then just above the critical point the asymmetry parameter has the form, σ ≈ A*( Δ - Δ_0 )^(1/2). I've also worked out a number of graphs for this system (including σ vs Δ). I suppose I could post them somewhere if there is sufficient demand for them.

David Bowman