Re: [Phys-L] new puzzle

I too have happy memories of Scientific American in the sixties. This was the heyday of C.L.Stong, a Westinghouse engineer, who described how to make a number of high tech science instruments in "The Amateur Scientist" using thje pen then pencil drawings of these devices by Roger Hayward. I enjoyed making the proton spin precession gradient magnetometer. "Take a small polythene bottle and wind it with several hundred turns of copper wire in several coaxial bobbins. Fill with water...."   Then there was the gas chromatograph with flame ionization detector. "Make an electrolytic hydrogen generator to maintain a small flame on the tip of a hypodermic needle insulated with a PTFE collar, which ionizes the gas evolved from the end of a small bore copper column packed with fuller's earth..."Particle accelerators were described, and HV generators. Clair Stong died in 1975