[Phys-L] Compromising Intelligence

Again this year I am unable to register for Bike-To-Work Day, so I am giving it a closer look.

I figure that, along with our increased recognition that participation in sports is causing head injuries, has come the wearing of more protection.

Bicyclists? Well, with all of that shaking of the head, with every pebble encountered, I figure that that erratic shaking is imparting a lot of energy throughout the brain, and doing damage throughout the brain. And, then there are the dramatic temperature gradients across the brain caused by the helmet design and construction.

So, what are we to do? Well, I figure that the persons riding the most would be the same persons who would volunteer the most, to do whatever WAMA needs to have done, and that would include creating and maintaining a website - BUT, these would be the MOST-brain-damaged persons.

One Suggested Solution:
Either pay professionals to do it right, or provide a (free) lifetime membership to person(s) who do not ride much.

See? I did not come up with this idea until, at age 81, I dramatically cut my bike riding!

Bill Norwood
(41-mile bike ride to 50th HS Reunion in 2008)

Sent from my iPhone