Re: [Phys-L] conserved momentum thru gas...

Dear Omar

I would think to get a consistent answer you would have to adopt a single frame of reference. The frame of reference you have chosen appears to be one where you are moving around the sun on the earth's orbit, but are not rotating with reference to the distant stars (so you consider the earth to be a body rotating in space).

Perhaps you could turn the question round, and suggest why the atmosphere would do anything other than (in gross terms) rotate with the earth. Given that the atmosphere is rotating (initial condition): It is subject to gravitational force that provides the centripetal force. What would stop it rotating? If you treat the atmosphere as a discrete object, it has a moment of inertia. So, what source of torque could be applied to change its angular momentum?

Keith