Re: [Phys-L] early Big Data

Alex,

Do you have any references for that data mining of xray data sets? That
sounds really interesting.

Paul

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 12:27 AM Alex. F. Burr via Phys-l <
phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

I have an interest in Big Data because I was involved in an early use of
Big Data. Not as early as the Roman military use, but more connected with
physics. I was connected with the creation of a large, for the time,
collection of every x-ray wavelength measurement.

In the history referenced by Paul, the characteristics of Big Data were
directed into three phases. The characteristics of the first phase were
present in my database, but many characteristics of the next two phases
were not because the web was essentially not created at that time.

The collection was mined for different kinds of information, mostly
concerned with the x-ray wavelength scale and the energy levels of all the
elements.

The mined data was interesting and resulted in several papers and a book
which are still referenced several times a month even now.

Alex. F. BurrIn a message dated 11/17/2022 12:44:31 PM Mountain Standard